Sweet and Sour Chicken
1 cup chicken plus 1/2 cup rice
- CKD non-dialysis
- 8 ounces canned pineapple chunks, juice-packed
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 2-1/2 cups cooked white rice
- Drain pineapple, reserving the juice.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces and place in a saucepan.
- Add reserved pineapple juice, broth, vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce and garlic. Cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add vegetables and pineapple. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine cornstarch and water. Gradually stir into hot mixture. Continue to cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Serve over white rice.
- Substitute Splenda® brown sugar blend if desired to reduce carbohydrate content. Add after mixture is thickened with cornstarch.
- Substitute 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder for fresh garlic if desired.
- Replace chicken with pork or shrimp for more variety.
Submitted by: Recipe adapted from Quick & Healthy Recipes and Ideas by Brenda J. Ponichtera and submitted by DaVita renal dietitian Joyce from Michigan.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 24 g
Carbohydrates 47 g
Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 57 mg
Sodium 270 mg
Potassium 420 mg
Phosphorus 211 mg
Calcium 43 mg
Fiber 1.6 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 2 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, low potassium
- 1/2 fruit, low potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register