Turkey Stuffed Green Peppers
- CKD non-dialysis
- 8 large green peppers
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 medium onion, finely minced
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove stems from peppers and clean seeds and membranes from inside.
- Mix turkey, rice, egg, onion, garlic and seasonings well.
- Stuff peppers with meat mixture.
- Place peppers in a large roaster.
- Pour crushed tomatoes and broth over peppers
- Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Use ground turkey breast for the leanest possible filling, but lean ground beef and lean ground pork tenderloin are also heart-healthy fillings.
- If you are not on a potassium restricted diet, use a 16-oz. can of crushed tomatoes.
- Make a double batch and freeze individual peppers for an easy meal when you don’t feel like cooking.
- Stuffed peppers are ubiquitous throughout Central and Eastern Europe. Seasoning and what type of meat with which they are stuffed vary not only from region to region, but within regions. Some use 100% ground beef, others use 100% ground pork, and others use a mixture.
- For a lower protein diet you can use one pound of turkey and increase the rice to 3 cups.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Anne from Pennsylvania.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 25 g
Carbohydrates 16 g
Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 115 mg
Sodium 303 mg
Potassium 594 mg
Phosphorus 256 mg
Calcium 57 mg
Fiber 3.7 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 2 vegetables, high potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register