- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 box angel food cake mix
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- 2 tablespoons water*
- nonstick cooking spray
- In a large plastic bag with a zip lock, pour in angel food cake mix and lemon (or other flavor) cake mix. With the plastic bag sealed, mix the two dry cake mixes together. Use mix to make a single cupcake or a whole batch by following steps 2 through 6.
- Spray a small custard dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Measure 3 tablespoons of the dry cake mix and place into a greased custard dish.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water and mix with a small fork.
- Place in the microwave and cook on high for one minute.
- Slip cupcake out of the custard dish. Cool one minute before enjoying.
- *Add 2 tablespoons water for each cupcake.
- If desired, may frost with cool whip or a glaze after cupcake is completely cooled.
- One of the cake mixes must be angel food cake. Strawberry cake mix can be substituted for lemon.
- Store dry cake mix in an air-tight container.
- The name 3-2-1 Cupcake indicates 3 tablespoons cake mix, 2 tablespoons water and 1 minute in the microwave.
- The baking powder in cake mix adds to sodium and phosphorus content. If you take phosphate binders to help control phosphorus, ask your dietitian if you need to take a binder with a cupcake snack.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Mary A. from California.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 1 g
Carbohydrates 18 g
Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 164 mg
Potassium 36 mg
Phosphorus 42 mg
Calcium 25 mg
Fiber 0 g
Added Sugar 10 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1/2 high calorie
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register