1/8 of pie
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 6 medium apples
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shortening
- 6 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Peel, core and slice apples.
- In a large bowl, combine apple slices, sugar and cinnamon. Cover and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, cut shortening into flour using a pastry blender. Add chilled water, 1 tablespoon at a time and mix until dough forms into a ball. If it does not, use hands to form a ball.
- Divide dough in half and roll out one piece, using a rolling pin and additional flour as needed. Place in a 9" pie pan.
- Stir apple pie filling and pour into pie shell.
- Using 1 tablespoon pats, place butter all around pie filling, evenly dispersed.
- Roll out the other 1/2 of dough. Place on top of apple pie filling, making sure edges of pie are covered.
- Using a sharp knife, make four 1” cuts around the top of the pie crust for air to escape while baking.
- Place pie in oven on a jellyroll pan to catch juice from pie while baking.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes until crust is golden brown.
- Suggested varieties of apples for a great tasting apple pie include: Fuji, Jonathan, Jonagold, Gala, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Pippin and Winesap. For best results try combining 2 or 3 varieties.
- 1 medium apple yields 1 cup when peeled and cored.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 4 g
Carbohydrates 51 g
Fat 33 g
Cholesterol 24 mg
Sodium 65 mg
Potassium 145 mg
Phosphorus 43 mg
Calcium 24 mg
Fiber 2.7 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 fruit, low potassium
- 2 starch
- 6 fat
- 1/2 high calorie
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitians Jean and Madonna from Minnesota.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register