1/2 tortilla with 1/2 cup fruit mixture
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2 flour tortillas 6-inch size
- nonstick cooking spray, butter-flavor
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 medium apples
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dried currants
- 1 teaspoon sifted powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Cut tortillas in half. Place tortillas on a baking sheet and lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together granulated sugar and 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice. Sprinkle over tortilla halves. Bake for about 10 minutes or until crisp.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Peel, core and slice apples.
- Lightly coat a medium, nonstick skillet with cooking spray and preheat over medium heat. Add apples, brown sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice; cook and stir about 10 minutes or until golden.
- Add apple juice, water and currants. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes or until the apples caramelize and the liquid evaporates.
- Place each tortilla half on a dessert plate and spoon 1/2 cup apple mixture over tortillas. If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serve immediately.
- If sugar substitute is used instead of sugar, fruit will not caramelize as much and consistency may be runny.
- Compare tortilla brands and select the lowest sodium product.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Brenda from Washington.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 1 g
Carbohydrates 23 g
Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 103 mg
Potassium 127 mg
Phosphorus 39 mg
Calcium 30 mg
Fiber 1.3 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1/2 starch
- 1/2 fruit, medium potassium
- 1/2 high calorie
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register