- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 medium apples
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Set cream cheese out to soften. Peel, core and slice apples.
- Cream together butter, 1/3 cup sugar and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla.
- Fold in flour to make a dough.
- Spread dough on bottom and sides of a 9″ spring form pan.
- In a medium bowl combine softened cream cheese and 1/3 cup sugar; mix well.
- Add egg and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla; mix until blended.
- Pour mixture into pastry-lined pan.
- Combine 1/3 cup sugar and cinnamon; toss with apples until all are coated.
- Spoon apple mixture over cream cheese layer.
- Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake at 450° F for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 400° F and continue baking for 25 minutes. Cool.
- One medium apple yields 1 cup when peeled and cored.
- You can substitute fresh cranberries for slivered almonds on top of tart to reduce phosphorus to 53 mg per serving.
- For a lower carbohydrate version diabetics can substitute Splenda® granular instead of sugar; carbohydrate is reduced to 19 grams, calories 266.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 4 g
Carbohydrates 36 g
Fat 20 g
Cholesterol 72 mg
Sodium 150 mg
Potassium 130 mg
Phosphorus 71 mg
Calcium 42 mg
Fiber 1.6 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 fruit, low potassium
- 4 fat
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Gertrude from Colorado.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register