- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2 egg whites
- 1-1/4 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1-1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup almonds, ground
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Beat egg whites to a stiff peak.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, white and brown sugar, almonds, lemon juice lemon zest and cinnamon; fold in the egg whites and mix until crumbly. Add water and mix.
- Form dough into a ball, cover, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a baking sheet.
- Divide chilled dough into 4 pieces. Dust hands with flour and roll out each piece into a 1″ thick rope (about 12″ long). Cut each rope into 2″ sections and roll until 1/2″ thick and about the size of a finger.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Let cool then roll in powdered sugar to coat.
- Cookies will be hard and crunchy when cooled
- Recommended portion for a diabetes diet is one cookie (16 g carbohydrate).
Nutrients per serving
Protein 3 g
Carbohydrates 38 g
Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 12 mg
Potassium 87 mg
Phosphorus 45 mg
Calcium 24 mg
Fiber 1.1 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 high calorie
Submitted by: the DaVita dietitian team, from an Italian recipe for Ossa de Morti Cookies, aka Bones of the Dead, served on November 1st to celebrate Day of the Dead.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register