- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2 egg whites
- 1-1/4 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1-1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup almonds, ground
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Beat egg whites to a stiff peak.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, white and brown sugar, almonds, lemon juice lemon zest and cinnamon; fold in the egg whites and mix until crumbly. Add water and mix.
- Form dough into a ball, cover, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a baking sheet.
- Divide chilled dough into 4 pieces. Dust hands with flour and roll out each piece into a 1″ thick rope (about 12″ long). Cut each rope into 2″ sections and roll until 1/2″ thick and about the size of a finger.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Let cool then roll in powdered sugar to coat.
- Cookies will be hard and crunchy when cooled
- Recommended portion for a diabetes diet is one cookie (16 g carbohydrate).
Submitted by: the DaVita dietitian team, from an Italian recipe for Ossa de Morti Cookies, aka Bones of the Dead, served on November 1st to celebrate Day of the Dead.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 3 g
Carbohydrates 38 g
Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 12 mg
Potassium 87 mg
Phosphorus 45 mg
Calcium 24 mg
Fiber 1.1 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 high calorie
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register