- CKD non-dialysis
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 18 peppermint candies
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Set the butter out to soften.
- Place 12 of the peppermint candies in a zip-top bag and pound with a heavy pan until finely crushed.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, butter, egg and peppermint extract. Beat ingredients at medium speed until creamy, scraping the bowl several times.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. Turn mixer to low speed and add flour mixture. Beat until well mixed. Hand-stir the crushed peppermint candy into the dough. Refrigerate dough for 1 hour to chill.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Crush the remaining 6 peppermint candies. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Shape the chilled dough into 3/4-inch balls and place on the baking sheet 2-inches apart. Using your thumb, make an indentation on each cookie and top with about 1/2 teaspoon of the crushed candy.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove parchment paper from baking sheet and cool cookies completely. Store in a sealed container with parchment paper or waxed paper between layers of cookies.
- Crushed candies may become sticky and clump together in a hot kitchen. Crush just prior to adding in the recipe.
- Cookies become more chewy after storing them for a day or longer.
- People with diabetes may want to limit to 1 cookie to help keep carbohydrates within goal.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrates 22 g
Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 24 mg
Sodium 67 mg
Potassium 17 mg
Phosphorus 24 mg
Calcium 20 mg
Fiber 0.2 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1/2 starch
- 1 fat
- 1 high-calorie
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Sara from California.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register