Chilled Lemon Cake
2” x 2” square
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 box yellow cake mix (18.5 ounces)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Grease and flour a 13” x 9” x 2” pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend the cake mix, applesauce, eggs and water for 30 seconds on low speed to mix. Increase mixer to medium speed and mix for 2 minutes.
- Pour cake batter into prepared cake pan and bake 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely. Do not remove from cake pan.
- While cake is cooling, mix powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl until blended.
- Poke holes over the top of the cooled cake 1/2” apart.
- Spoon the glaze over the top of cake, allowing it to seep into holes. Eventually it will coat the top of the cake with an opaque covering.
- Chill thoroughly and serve.
- The colder the cake, the better it tastes. This is a great recipe for spring and summer.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Susan from Missouri.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrates 32 g
Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 28 mg
Sodium 176 mg
Potassium 29 mg
Phosphorus 86 mg
Calcium 53 mg
Fiber 0.4 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 high calorie
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register