- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 cup cran-cherry juice
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- 2 packets Knox® unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, canned in juice
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 3 cups Reddi-Wip® dairy whipped topping
- In a medium sauce pan, boil the cran-cherry juice.
- Add the cranberries and return to boiling, and then reduce heat to medium. Cook until berries are tender, about10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat. Stir in the gelatin and 1-1/4 cups of the sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Let cool, approximately 30 minutes.
- Add the drained pineapple to cranberry mixture. Mix well. Pour mixture into a 9" x 13" pan or for individual servings pour 1/3 cup cranberry mixture into dessert glasses. Chill until set, approximately 1 hour.
- Set the cream cheese out to soften, about 30 minutes.
- Make the topping in a large bowl by mixing remaining 3/4-cup sugar and the softened cream cheese with a hand mixer. Gently fold in the whipped topping.
- Spread topping smoothly over congealed cranberry mixture in pan or spoon 1/4 cup on top of each individual serving. Refrigerate to chill topping.
- This is a wonderful year-round dish and very festive for winter holidays. Leftovers will keep up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Look for frozen whole cranberries when fresh cranberries are not in season.
- For a lower sugar version, substitute Splenda® granular No Calorie Sweetener for the sugar. 115 calories, 12 g carbohydrate; count as 1 carbohydrate choice.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrates 35 g
Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 23 mg
Sodium 58 mg
Potassium 65 mg
Phosphorus 25 mg
Calcium 28 mg
Fiber 1.0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1/2 fruit, low potassium
- 1-1/2 fat
- 1-1/2 high calorie
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Kim from Missouri.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register