- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat, or in a microwave. Stir in the brown sugar and let mixture cool to room temperature.
- Place sugar mixture in a large bowl and beat in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Mix together the flour and baking powder, and gradually add to the sugar mixture. Stir in the white chocolate and the 1/3 cup of the cranberries.
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Spread the batter in the pan; it will be thick.Bake for 18 to 22 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out with just a few crumbs. Let cool completely.
- Let cream cheese sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. Stir cinnamon into powdered sugar. Beat with a hand-mixer for 1 minute. Gradually start adding powdered sugar mixture and beat until smooth.
- Spread the frosting on cooled brownies. Top with remaining cranberries. Cut into 24 pieces. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Chop the cranberries to distribute them throughout the blondies.
- Cranberries have 30 mg of potassium per 1/2 cup.
- White chocolate is similar to semi-sweet chocolate in potassium and phosphorus content. Using a small amount like in this recipe allows you to enjoy chocolate while keeping it kidney-friendly!
- To decrease carbs to 21 grams per serving substitute brown sugar with a sugar and sugar substitute blend and replace powdered sugar with a granular sugar substitute.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Jackie from Virginia.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 3 g
Carbohydrates 29 g
Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 41 mg
Sodium 72 mg
Potassium 53 mg
Phosphorus 44 mg
Calcium 45 mg
Fiber 0.5 g
Added Sugar 16 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1/2 starch
- 1 high-calorie
- 2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register