- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Set butter and cream cheese out to soften.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar and baking powder.
- In a large bowl combine butter, cream cheese and vanilla; beat until light and fluffy.
- Add dry ingredients to cream cheese mixture and blend well. Form dough into a ball, wrap and chill for 2 hours.
- Roll dough to 1/4” thickness on lightly floured surface.
- Cut with 1-1/2-inch fluted or round cutter.
- Place 2” apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Press center of each cookie slightly with your thumb and fill center with 1/4 teaspoon jam.
- Bake for 10–12 minutes.
- Remove from cookie sheet and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Sift powdered sugar over top of cookie, if desired.
- Use any flavor of jam. Try orange marmalade or peach jam for Halloween cookies or strawberry or raspberry for Christmas or Valentine's Day cookies.
- An alternative way to make these cookies: Roll chilled dough thin 1/8". Cut cookies with a 2" fluted cookie cutter. Cut a small hole in the middle of half the cookies. Sandwich the cookies together and fill the hole with jam before baking. Makes 24 cookies, serving size is 1 cookie instead of 3 smaller cookies.
- After sifting with powdered sugar,moisten your finger with water and dab the jelly portion tomake it glossy again.
- Store extra cookies in a covered container or freeze for later.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrates 15 g
Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 32 mg
Sodium 74 mg
Potassium 33 mg
Phosphorus 31 mg
Calcium 38 mg
Fiber 0.3 g
Added Sugar 4 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 2 fat
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Jackie from North Dakota.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register