Easy Strawberry Pie
1/8th pie slice
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- one 9-inch crust pie shell
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3 ounces strawberry gelatin dry mix
- 4 cups fresh sliced strawberries
- Prepare a 9-inch single pie crust recipe or bake a 9-inch frozen prepared pie shell according to package directions. Set aside and allow to cool while preparing filling.
- Mix sugar, cornstarch and water in medium sauce pan and cook until mixture is thick and clear, stirring often to prevent clumping. Remove from heat and stir in the strawberry gelatin.
- Allow mixture to cool slightly, but not firm.
- Place the sliced strawberries into the cooled pie shell. Pour the cooked gelatin mixture over the berries. Let the pie set for a few minutes.
- Cover the pie with waxed paper and chill in the refrigerator for several hours before serving.
- Serve with whipped topping and garnish with a mint leaf if desired.
- For a lower carbohydrate pie substitute low-calorie sweetener of choice and sugar-free gelatin. Carbohydrate is reduced to 21 grams per serving.
- May also use a prepared shortbread pie crust instead of a baked crust.
- This pie makes a great presentation for patriotic holidays if blueberries are mixed with the strawberries.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Judy from Pennsylvania.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 3 g
Carbohydrates 48 g
Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 142 mg
Potassium 150 mg
Phosphorus 50 mg
Calcium 19 mg
Fiber 2.3 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1/2 fruit, low potassium
- 1 high-calorie
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register