Glistening Frog Eye Salad
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups pineapple juice
- 4 egg whites, beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 16 ounces Acini di Pepe pasta, cooked, drained
- 33 ounces canned mandarin oranges, drained
- 24 ounces canned pineapple chunks, drained
- 8 ounces whipped dessert topping
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt. Stir in pineapple juice and egg whites. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Add lemon juice. Cool to room temperature.
- Prepare Acini di Pepe pasta according to package directions but omit salt. Drain.
- Combine egg mixture and pasta, mixing well. Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Refrigerate overnight in an airtight container.
- Look for 11-ounce cans of mandarin oranges and purchase 3 cans.
- Acini di Pepe pasta is very tiny balls of pasta used mainly as soup pasta. If unavailable, orzo pasta may be substituted; however, the frog eye affect may be altered.
- To reduce the carbohydrate content, people with diabetes can replace the sugar with Splenda® sweetener and omit the marshmallows. Carbohydrate count is reduced to 21 grams per 1/2-cup serving.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Jennifer from Kansas.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrates 28 g
Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 53 mg
Potassium 84 mg
Phosphorus 29 mg
Calcium 5 mg
Fiber 0.9 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 fruit, low potassium
- 1/2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register