Golden Cornmeal Cookies
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 cup finely ground yellow cornmeal
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup liquid low cholesterol egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Grease a baking sheet.
- Sift the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt together into mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg substitute and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and beat until well blended.
- Drop heaping teaspoons of the mixture onto the greased baking sheet in rows about 2" apart.
- Bake for 7 to 8 minutes until the cookies are golden brown at the edges. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Use of liquid egg substitute instead of eggs helps lower phosphorus in this recipe. This is important in recipes that contain baking powder, a high phosphorus ingredient necessary for many bakery items.
Submitted by: Recipe created by DaVita patient, Chef Ronald, and submitted by DaVita dietitian Maryam from Minnesota.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrates 19 g
Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 22 mg
Sodium 52 mg
Potassium 25 mg
Phosphorus 23 mg
Calcium 23 mg
Fiber 0.6 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1/2 starch
- 1 fat
- 1/2 high calorie
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register