Grandma Steele’s Torte
1/12 of torte
- 18 full sheets of graham crackers
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup whey protein powder (divided use)
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 8 ounces sugar-free Cool Whip® dessert topping, thawed
- 16 ounces no sugar added cherry pie filling
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Place the graham crackers in a gallon-size freezer bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
- Place the graham cracker crumbs and 1/4 cup of the protein powder in a 9” x 13” casserole dish and pour in the melted butter. Using a wooden spoon or clean hands, mix the graham crackers with the butter. Press into the pan.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Place the softened cream cheese, powdered sugar and the remaining 1/4 cup of protein powder into a blender and blend for about 15 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the blender and blend again until there are no lumps. Add the thawed Cool Whip and blend until smooth. Spread this mixture on the prepared graham cracker crust.
- Spread the cherry pie filling over the cream cheese mixture.
- Place dessert in the refrigerator or freezer and allow to chill before serving.
- Amy’s grandma used to serve this frozen, but, as kids, she and her sister would eat it whether it was frozen or refrigerated.
- If you need to follow a lower protein meal plan, omit the protein powder.
- Ask your dietitian to recommend a brand of protein powder.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Amy from Florida.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 8 g
Carbohydrates 30 g
Fat 28 g
Cholesterol 84 mg
Sodium 268 mg
Potassium 151 mg
Phosphorus 84 mg
Calcium 63 mg
Fiber 1.0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 1/2 starch
- 1/2 fruit, low potassium
- 4 fat
- 1 high calorie
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register