Home-style Vanilla Ice Cream
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 cup low cholesterol egg product
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups liquid nondairy creamer
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- rock salt and ice (for ice cream machine)
- Using a 1-quart, microwavable bowl, beat egg product and sugar until well blended.
- Stir in non-dairy creamer and microwave for 1 minute, or until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat. When cool, stir in vanilla.
- Pour mixture into center container of the ice cream machine.
- Layer ice and rock salt around container, alternating layers until bucket is full.
- Process according to manufacturer’s instructions for your particular ice cream machine.
- If you have an ice cream machine, pour mixture in and follow manufacturer instructions.
- This recipe may be doubled. Freeze extra for a later treat.
- Variations can be made by adding 1-1/2 cups of low-potassium fruit of choice such as fresh strawberries or peaches. When adding fruit, increase sugar to 2/3 cup.
- Coffee Rich® non-dairy creamer and Egg Beaters® low-cholesterol egg product were used in the development of this recipe. If these brand-name products are not available in your area, ask your renal dietitian about substitute products.
- One serving counts as 4 ounces of liquid in a dialysis diet.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Kelly from Louisiana.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 3 g
Carbohydrates 22 g
Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 64 mg
Potassium 87 mg
Phosphorus 36 mg
Calcium 15 mg
Fiber 0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1/2 non-dairy
- 1 high calorie
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register