Key Lime Pie Poke Cake
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 small box Cook & Serve Jell-O® vanilla pudding mix
- 1-1/2 cups unenriched rice milk
- 1/2 cup key lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 drop green food coloring
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® White Cake Mix
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 12 ounces Betty Crocker® Whipped Vanilla Frosting
- In a medium pan, combine pudding mix, rice milk, lime juice, lime zest and food coloring. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Refrigerate to chill.
- Heat oven to 350° F (325° F for dark or nonstick pan). Spray bottom only of a 9" x 13" baking pan with baking flour.
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix, water, egg whites and oil with an electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. With handle of wooden spoon (1/4" to 1/2" diameter), poke holes almost to bottom of cake every 1/2 inch, wiping spoon handle occasionally to reduce sticking.
- Remove pudding mixture from refrigerator and set aside 1-1/2 cups to add to icing. Pour remaining filling mixture over cake. Spread over cake surface, working back and forth to fill holes. Some filling should remain on the top of the cake. Refrigerate for one hour.
- Mix frosting and reserved filling in a bowl and whip together. Frost cake and garnish with lime zest.
- In addition to grated lime peel you can garnish with fresh strawberries, lemon leaves and key lime slices.
- Store cake loosely covered in the refrigerator.
- Instant pudding mix is very high in phosphorus. Do not substitute.
- May use 4 packages of shelf stable Snack Pack Sugar Free Vanilla Pudding® cups to replace pudding mix and rice milk. Place in a bowl and stir in lime zest and food coloring. Mix half with frosting and spread the other half over cake.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Miriam from Arizona.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrates 35 g
Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 219 mg
Potassium 51 mg
Phosphorus 87 mg
Calcium 25 mg
Fiber 0.1 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 fat
- 1 high calorie
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register