1/8 of 9" pie
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 eggs, separate yolks and whites
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose white flour
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pie shell, 9" size, unbaked
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Beat sugar and butter until creamed. Add beaten egg yolks and stir.
- Add flour, lemon peel, lemon juice and milk. Stir to mix.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry, until peaks form. Fold egg whites into lemon mixture and mix gently—do not over mix.
- Pour filling into pie shell and bake at 450° F for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325° F and continue baking for 20 minutes, or until filling sets and top is golden brown.
- Due to high carbohydrate content, people with diabetes are advised to reduced the portion to 1/2-piece of recommended serving size.
Submitted by: DaVita patient Peggy from Missouri.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 4 g
Carbohydrates 37 g
Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 62 mg
Sodium 168 mg
Potassium 81 mg
Phosphorus 65 mg
Calcium 47 mg
Fiber .4 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 2 fat
- 1 high calorie
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register