Lively Lemon Tart
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar (divided use)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold, unsalted butter
- 5 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Stir together flour, 3 tablespoons powdered sugar and salt. Add butter using a pastry blender or fork, until mixture appears crumbly.
- Press mixture into bottom and sides of an 8” tart pan (or other 8” pan with removable bottom such as a spring form pan). Prick bottom of crust with a fork; cover and place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Place tart pan on a larger pan and bake for 12 to 13 minutes. Remove from oven to let cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350° F.
- Beat cream cheese in mixing bowl until smooth. Add granulated sugar and continue to beat until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time and beat well. Add lemon juice and zest, and beat again until smooth.
- Pour filling into prepared crust and bake 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool. Cover tart and refrigerate 1 hour until chilled.
- Beat whipping cream and remaining 1 tablespoon powdered sugar together until soft peaks form. Spoon dollops of topping around edge of tart and serve.
- Whipping cream is also known as heavy cream. It doubles in volume when whipped.
- Without the whipped cream fat is 19 grams per serving.
- To make a diabetic-friendly version, substitute Splenda® granular sweetener for powdered and granulated sugar and replace whipped cream with a dollop of light whipped topping (carbohydrate 18 g, fat 20 g, calories 270).
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Janis from Illinois.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 5 g
Carbohydrates 33 g
Fat 25 g
Cholesterol 125 mg
Sodium 117 mg
Potassium 93 mg
Phosphorus 74 mg
Calcium 42 mg
Fiber 0.5 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 5 fat
- 1 high calorie
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register