Low Sugar Carrot Cake
1 piece 2-1/4" x 2-1/2"
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups canola oil
- 1 cup Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 3/4 cup Splenda® No Calorie Sweetener, granulated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350o F.
- Grease and lightly flour a 9" x 13" pan.
- Sift flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon together. Set aside.
- Combine oil and Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking. Add in one egg at a time, mixing after each egg is added.
- Gradually add dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Fold in shredded carrots. Pour into baking pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- To make icing, combine butter and cream cheese in a mixing bowl. Beat with a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add Splenda® granulated sweetener while beating. Add vanilla and mix well.
- Spread icing on cake after it cools well.
- For a lower fat version, replace 1/2-cup canola oil with 1/2-cup unsweetened applesauce; replace eggs with 1-cup low-cholesterol egg product; use reduced-calorie cream cheese. (250 calories, 18 grams fat per serving).
- If desired, replace Splenda products with equal amounts of sugar.
- Splenda is available in four forms: Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking (half Splenda®, half sugar), Splenda® Brown sugar Blend (half Splenda, half brown sugar), Splenda® granulater sweetener and Splenda® tabletop sweetener. For best results use the two types specified in this recipe.
Submitted by: Recipe provided by DaVita patient, Thomas, and submitted by DaVita dietitian Victoria from California.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 4 g
Carbohydrates 17 g
Fat 27 g
Cholesterol 68 mg
Sodium 157 mg
Potassium 99 mg
Phosphorus 76 mg
Calcium 48 mg
Fiber 1.2 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, low potassium
- 5 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register