1/10th piece of pie
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 5 cups low fat vanilla bean ice cream
- 6 ounces frozen limeade concentrate
- 2 fresh limes
- 1 to 2 drops green food coloring (optional)
- 1 graham cracker crust
- Set the ice cream out to soften; thaw limeade concentrate. Zest the peel of one lime and measure 2 teaspoons to add to the pie mixture. Juice the zested lime and measure 1 tablespoon.
- Combine the softened ice cream, limeade, lime juice and lime zest in a large bowl. Stir until well blended.
- Pour mixture into the graham cracker crust. Cover and freeze until firm.
- Cut pie into 10 servings. Garnish each slice with a fresh lime slice.
- For variety substitute cranberry, lemon or pineapple frozen concentrate for lime concentrate.
- This dessert is not recommended for people with diabetes due to the high carbohydrate content. However you can make the following changes to reduce carbs to 26 grams per serving: make the filling and freeze in dessert cups and divide into 10 servings; omit the graham cracker crust; and use sugar-free ice cream.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 5 g
Carbohydrates 42 g
Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 21 mg
Sodium 153 mg
Potassium 190 mg
Phosphorus 108 mg
Calcium 134 mg
Fiber 0.7 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 milk
- 1 high-calorie
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Grace from Oklahoma.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register