- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 16 ounces canned cherries, in juice, pitted
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 14 tablespoons unsalted tub margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup ice cold water
- Drain juice from cherries into a measuring cup. Add water to make one cup.
- Stir sugar and cornstarch together in a medium saucepan. Gradually add the cherry juice.
- Heat juice mixture over medium heat until it starts to thickened. Add reserved cherries and reheat until filling starts to bubbles. Set aside to cool. Prepare crust.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut tablespoons margarine into flour with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture forms pieces the size of peas.
- Stir in ice cold water just until a ball forms. Let rest in refrigerator 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 ºF.
- Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, roll half the dough to fit an 8” or 9” round pie pan. Place pie crust in pan and add cherry filling. Roll out second half of dough and place over top of pie.
- Crimp edges of pie to seal. Cut slits in crust. Brush crust with a small amount of milk or egg to help brown. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until crust is brown and cherries begin to bubble.
- Diabetics can substitute Splenda® granular sweetener for sugar. Carbohydrate is reduced to 31 grams and carbohydrate choices equal 2.
- Adjust sugar depending on tartness of cherries.
- Nutrient analysis includes 3/4-cup sugar added to cherries.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 4 g
Carbohydrates 46 g
Fat 20 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 78 mg
Potassium 105 mg
Phosphorus 37 mg
Calcium 14 mg
Fiber 1.4 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 fruit, low potassium
- 1-1/2 starch
- 3-1/2 fat
- 1/2 high calorie
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Mary from Georgia.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register