- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 14 drops of red food coloring (optional)
- 1 tablespoon decorative red sugar
- Preheat oven to 220º F. Cover cookie sheet with foil.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl with mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar. Add vanilla extract and food coloring. Continue mixing well until stiff peaks form and all the sugar is dissolved.
- Drop by heaping tablespoons onto foil-lined cookie sheet. Smooth tops of meringue with bottom of spoon to form a "peak." Sprinkle cookies with decorative red sugar.
- Bake in oven 50 minutes. Let cool in oven with door slightly ajar for about 1 hour.
- Store covered at room temperature. Recipe makes approximately 30 cookies.
- Use different colors of decorative sugar and food coloring.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Susan.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 1 g
Carbohydrates 10 g
Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 15 mg
Potassium 23 mg
Phosphorus 1 mg
Calcium 1 mg
Fiber 0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register