More Momma's Blackbery Mountain Pie
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 4 cups blackberries
- 13 tablespoons sugar (divided use)
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup Rice Dream® Original Rice Drink
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- While oven is still preheating, place butter in a 2-quart baking dish, and pop into oven until butter is completely melted. (Don’t forget to remove from oven once butter has finished melting.)
- As butter is melting, combine blackberries and 1 tablespoon of sugar in a small bowl.
- Mix together flour, salt, baking powder and remaining 12 tablespoons (3/4 cup) sugar in another small bowl.
- Add Rice Dream® to flour mixture and stir well.
- Pour batter into the baking dish with the melted butter, and top with fruit mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes to an hour.
- You can substitute any other low-potassium fruit, such as blueberries, strawberries or mixed berries.
- Be sure to purchase rice milk that does not contain phosphorus additives. Rice Dream Original Rice Drink®, unenriched is a great choice, as it is additive-free and tastes great.
- For diabetics, use Splenda® granular sweetener instead of sugar to decrease calories to 245 and carbohydrate to 27 grams per serving.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Michelle from Texas.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 4 g
Carbohydrates 49 g
Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 28 mg
Sodium 222 mg
Potassium 186 mg
Phosphorus 91 mg
Calcium 65 mg
Fiber 5.6 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 fruit, low potassium
- 1 starch
- 2 fat
- 1 high calorie
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register