Orange Bundt Cake with Honey Glaze
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 15.25-ounce box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 orange
- 2 teaspoons orange extract, divided
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Completely zest the orange. The zest will measure to approximately 2-1/2 to 3 tablespoons. Set the orange aside. Combine cake mix, water, oil, eggs, orange zest and 1 teaspoon of the orange extract. Mix with a hand mixer on low to medium speed for 2 minutes. Spray a bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the pre-heated oven for 35-40 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the cake to test for doneness. There should only be crumbs on the toothpick when ready, not uncooked batter.
- Place hot pan on a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes. Use a rubber spatula to loosen the cake around the edges and then invert the cake onto a large plate or serving dish. The cake should release out of the pan and onto the plate. Let cool completely.
- For the glaze: Cut the orange in half and squeeze about 2 tablespoons of juice from the orange into a medium bowl. Add honey, powdered sugar and the remaining 1 teaspoon of orange extract. Whisk gently to incorporate. Slowly drizzle the glaze over the top of the entire cake.
- Oranges are generally very limited on a kidney diet due to the high potassium content. This recipe shows how oranges can still be incorporated into cooking and baking in small quantities. The flavor can still be enjoyed in this recipe without consuming the whole orange.
- White cake mix can also be used in place of the yellow cake mix.
- A tube pan may also be substituted for the bundt pan.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Jackie from Virginia.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrates 34 g
Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 35 mg
Sodium 211 mg
Potassium 35 mg
Phosphorus 103 mg
Calcium 65 mg
Fiber 0.4 g
Added Sugar 12 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1/2 starch
- 1-1/2 high calorie
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register