1/20 of cake
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 20 ounces canned crushed pineapple in juice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, sugar, soda and eggs.
- Drain juice or syrup from pineapple into above mixture, stirring to combine. Beat to mix; batter will be thick.
- Fold in pineapple, mixing well.
- Pour into a greased and floured 13” x 9” x 2” cake pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until cake springs back when touched.
- To make frosting, beat together butter and cream cheese.
- Gradually stir in powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- Spread frosting over cake as soon as it is removed from oven, while still hot.
- For a lighter dessert serve cake without the icing—it still tastes great.
- This cake is a great source of calories if you need to gain weight.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Laura from Georgia.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrates 44 g
Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 40 mg
Sodium 172 mg
Potassium 66 mg
Phosphorus 33 mg
Calcium 16 mg
Fiber 0.4 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1/2 starch
- 1/2 fruit, low potassium
- 1-1/2 high calorie
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register