Spiced Apple Oat Cookies
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 large apple
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set butter out to soften.
- Core and dice the apple. Toss with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Sift the flour. In a mixing bowl combine flour, oats, spices, baking soda and salt and then set aside.
- In another bowl, add the softened butter and sugars and beat with an electric mixer until creamy in texture. Add in pumpkin and vanilla and stir. Add apples and stir until combined.
- Add flour mixture to apple mixture and stir.
- Drop cookie dough by rounded tablespoonful onto the baking sheet and gently flatten with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!
Helpful hintsRecipe can easily be made gluten-free with gluten-free all-purpose flour and gluten-free oats.
For glazed cookies whisk together 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons heavy cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla and a pinch of cinnamon and drizzle on top of cooled cookies.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Elyse from Virginia.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrates 19 g
Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 10 mg
Sodium 53 mg
Potassium 66 mg
Phosphorus 53 mg
Calcium 13 mg
Fiber 1.4 g
Added Sugar 7 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register