- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2/3 cup whole fresh strawberries
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup rice milk, unenriched
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- Set butter, eggs and rice milk out to warm to room temperature. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place cupcake liners in a 12-cup muffin tin; set aside.
- Process strawberries in a small food processor until pureed to make approximately 1/3 cup of puree.
- In a medium bowl, combine white and brown rice flours, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine rice milk, vanilla, and strawberry puree; set aside.
- Cream butter on medium-high speed with an electric mixer, until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and slowly add egg and egg whites until just blended.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add half the rice flour mixture; mix until just blended. Add the milk mixture; mix until just blended. Slowly add remaining rice flour mixture, scraping down sides of the bowl with a spatula, as necessary, until just blended.
- Pour batter into muffin cups. Bake until tops are just dry to the touch, 22 to 25 minutes. Place muffin tin on a wire rack and let cupcakes cool before removing from tin.
- Use frozen strawberries if fresh are not in season. Thaw before pureeing.
- Top cupcakes with your favorite icing (gluten-free if required).
- You can also make this recipe into a cake instead of cupcakes.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrates 29 g
Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 39 mg
Sodium 95 mg
Potassium 74 mg
Phosphorus 52 mg
Calcium 33 mg
Fiber 1.0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1/2 high calorie
- 1-1/2 fat
Submitted by: DaVita teammate Meghan from Colorado.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register