- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 packet unflavored gelatin
- 3 cups strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 10 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup pasteurized egg whites
- 1 cup whipped topping
- In a small bowl mix gelatin with 1 tablespoon water and microwave for 10 to 15 seconds to dissolve gelatin. Stir and set aside.
- Wash and hull fresh strawberries. Reserve three strawberries cut into slices for garnish.
- Place the berries in a food processor and puree. Pour puree into a mixing bowl and stir in gelatin. Add 2 to 4 tablespoons of sugar to desired sweetness. Set aside.
- Place egg whites in a clean mixing bowl. Beat to soft peaks.
- Gradually add 6 tablespoons of sugar to egg whites while beating until they are stiff and glossy.
- Fold the strawberry puree into the egg whites. Put the mixture in a glass bowl or dessert glasses and chill.
- Just before serving, top mousse with whipped topping and garnish with strawberry slices.
- Reduce carbohydrate to 20 grams per serving (1-1/2 carb choice) by substituting Splenda® granular sweetener for 4 tablespoons sugar added to the berries.
- Egg whites contribute approximately 3-1/2 grams high quality protein per serving.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Mary Beth, MS, MBA, LDN, RD, from Louisiana.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 4 g
Carbohydrates 27 g
Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 51 mg
Potassium 165 mg
Phosphorus 23 mg
Calcium 14 mg
Fiber 1.5 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1/2 meat
- 1 fruit, low potassium
- 1/2 high calorie
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register