Streusel Stuffed Apples
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2 medium baking apples
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons sweetened, dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Set butter out to soften.
- Wash and dry apples. Using an apple corer or sharp knife, remove the core, leaving bottom of apple intact.
- To make streusel, mix flour, sugar and spices together in a small bowl. Add butter and blend with a fork. Add chopped walnuts and cranberries.
- Stuff mixture inside apples. Dot each apple with a small amount of butter.
- Place apples into a baking dish. Add 1/2 cup boiling water to the dish.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until apples are tender.
- Serve warm apples with a dollop of whipped cream if desired.
- Grace prefers Honeycrisp apples. Other baking apples include Jonagold, Braeburn, Winesap and Granny Smith.
- The recommended portion for a low carbohydrate diet is 1/2 apple. Replace the brown sugar with 1 tablespoon brown sugar blend and omit the cranberries to reduce carbs to 19 grams and calories to 174 per 1/2 apple with strudel.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Grace from Oklahoma
Nutrients per serving
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrates 48 g
Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 15 mg
Sodium 52 mg
Potassium 253 mg
Phosphorus 52 mg
Calcium 35 mg
Fiber 5.3 g
Added Sugar 13 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 fruit, medium potassium
- 1 high-calorie
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register