1/8 slice of pie
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup 2% reduced-fat evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 unbaked deep dish pastry shell (9-inch)
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Set eggs out to bring to room temperature. Set butter out to soften.
- In a medium pan peel and cube 2 medium sweet potatoes. Add water to cover and bring to a boil. Drain, add fresh water and return to a boil. Reduce heat; cook uncovered until tender 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain potatoes, return to pan and mash until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and mix well.
- Add milk, 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg, mix well.
- Pour into an unbaked deep-dish pie shell. Add pie shield or cover top of crust with aluminum foil to prevent crust from over browning. Remove shield the last 5 minutes of baking.
- Bake at 425° F for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° F and bake 35 to 40 minutes or until set or a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool, cover and store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Double-boiling removes about half the potassium from sweet potatoes. If potassium is not restricted you can boil only once until potato pieces are tender.
Substitute a granular sugar substitute for sugar to reduce carbs to 26 grams per slice.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 5 g
Carbohydrates 37 g
Fat 17 g
Cholesterol 67 mg
Sodium 152 mg
Potassium 195 mg
Phosphorus 107 mg
Calcium 92 mg
Fiber 1.7 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 high-calorie
- 3 fat
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Grace from Oklahoma
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register