Very Berry Galette
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 pie crust, unformed (refrigerated or frozen pie dough)
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 2-1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon blackberry preserves
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Thaw the pie dough and berries.
- Roll the pie dough into a 12" circle. Place on a baking sheet lightly coated with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the thawed berries and 2 tablespoons of sugar (or sugar substitute).
- Arrange the berry mixture in the center of the dough leaving a 2" to 3" border. Fold the edges of dough in towards the center, pressing gently to seal. (Dough will only partially cover the berries.)
- Melt the preserves by heating in the microwave 10 to 20 seconds.
- Brush folded-in edges of the dough with melted preserves. Bake for 10 minutes; then reduce heat to 350° F. Bake an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove galette from the oven and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tablespoon sugar.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Cut into 6 wedges as you would a pie.
- Galette, a French dessert, is a round, flat cake made of pastry dough, often topped with jam or fruit.
- Mixed berries may include a combination of blueberries, marion berries, blackberries or raspberries. Check the frozen food section at your local grocery store.
- Other berry preserves may be substituted for blackberry preserves.
- Reduce calories to 111 and carbohydrate to 12 grams (1 carbohydrate choice) by replacing sugar with low calorie sweetener of choice..
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Helen from Colorado.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrates 33 g
Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 5 mg
Sodium 158 mg
Potassium 87 mg
Phosphorus 29 mg
Calcium 15 mg
Fiber 3.0 g
Added Sugar 5 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 fruit
- 2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register