- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Sofrito
- 1 teaspoon Bijol® annotto powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 chicken-flavor bouillon cube
- 1 cup canned pigeon peas
- 2 cups long grain rice, uncooked
- Drain and rinse pigeon peas. Mince garlic.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large saucepan.
- Add Sofrito, Bijol® powder, tomato paste, garlic, oregano, bouillon cube and pigeon peas.
- Stir fry for approximately 3 to 4 minutes to seal in juices.
- In large sauce pan, prepare rice following the recipe on the package, omitting salt.
- Mix rice in with the ingredients in large saucepan and serve.
See Sofrito recipe on DaVita.com.
For more protein add one-cup chopped chicken. Adds 4 grams of protein per serving. Use half a rotisserie chicken with the skin and bones removed to save time.
Bijol®, a brand name for achiote or annotto powder, gives a yellow-orange color to the rice. It is a replacement for saffron. If unavailable, substitute equal parts paprika and turmeric.
Frozen or dried cooked pigeon peas may be substituted for canned peas.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 5 g
Carbohydrates 40 g
Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 162 mg
Potassium 239 mg
Phosphorus 173 mg
Calcium 16 mg
Fiber 2.6 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2-1/2 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Tahseen from Florida.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register