- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2 pounds challah bread
- 2 medium onions
- 4 stalks celery
- 2 medium green bell peppers
- 2 medium carrots
- 4 garlic cloves
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 1 pound ground turkey, 7% fat
- 2 cups low-sodium turkey stock
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- Tear challah loaves into pieces and let sit out overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Chop the onion, celery, green peppers, carrots and parsley. Mince the garlic.
- In a large pan, heat 4 tablespoons of the butter until lightly browned
- Add ground turkey and sauté until browned. Remove turkey from pan and set aside to cool.
- Add the onion, celery, green peppers and carrots to the same pan and sauté until tender. Add garlic and heat for 1 to 2 additional minutes.
- Grease an oven-safe pan with the remaining tablespoon of butter. Sprinkle poultry seasoning over the bread pieces and add to the pan.
- Whisk the eggs and mix into cooled turkey mixture.
- Add egg and turkey mixture and 1/4 cup of the chopped parsley to the bread. Gently mix.
- Add the turkey stock and stir to combine. Mixture will look mushy.
- Cover the pan and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the cover and bake for 20 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle the remaining parsley on top before serving.
- Leftover dressing freezes well.
- Omit ground turkey if serving dressing with roasted turkey.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 13 g
Carbohydrates 31 g
Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 92 mg
Sodium 280 mg
Potassium 266 mg
Phosphorus 154 mg
Calcium 86 mg
Fiber 2.3 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 1-1/2 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 fat
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Christine from New Jersey
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register