Creamy Orzo and Vegetables
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 small onion
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup orzo pasta, uncooked
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Finely chop garlic. Chop onion and zucchini. Shred carrots.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the garlic, onion, zucchini and carrots for 5 minutes.
- Add curry powder, chicken broth and salt; bring to a boil.
- Add orzo pasta and stir until mixture returns to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes until the liquid is absorbed and pasta is al dente.
- Add cheese, chopped parsley and the frozen peas. Heat until the vegetables are hot, adding a bit more broth if necessary to maintain creaminess. Add pepper to taste.
- Great served with chicken instead of potatoes or rice.
- Recipe can be easily halved.
- Small amounts of cheese, like the Parmesan cheese in this recipe, can be included and still maintain phosphorus and sodium in an acceptable range.
- Chicken stock or broth contributes to the protein content of this recipe. Be sure to keep it low-sodium without added potassium chloride.
Submitted by: Recipe created by Michele, wife of DaVita patient Charlie and submitted by DaVita renal dietitian Maria from North Carolina.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 10 g
Carbohydrates 25 g
Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 4 mg
Sodium 193 mg
Potassium 170 mg
Phosphorus 68 mg
Calcium 53 mg
Fiber 2.6 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1/2 meat
- 1-1/2 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register