- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1 green chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 cup green lentils, cooked soft
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablepoon cilantro
- 4 cups white rice, cooked
- Chop onion an chili pepper. Grate ginger.
- In a saucepan, heat vegetable oil. Add mustard seeds and cumin. When they splutter, add chopped onion, green chilies and ginger. Fry till the onion gets a light brown color.
- Add cooked lentils; add 3/4 cup water, salt and mustard powder. Cook for 10 minutes till the lentil cooks to desired consistency.
- Add lemon juice and sprinkle with finely chopped cilantro.
- Serve hot with rotis/rice.
- Roti is a flat Indian bread, also known as chapati.
- Wet grinders are very popular tools in the South Indian kitchen and are used to make paste out of soaked grains and lentils.
- Idli is a round, fluffy bread roughly eight centimetres in diameter. Idli is made from ground rice or rice flour mixed with ground urad dal, salt, methi (fenugreek seeds) and water. The mixture is allowed to ferment prior to being steamed in an idli steamer. They are traditional to Southern India and are most often eaten with sambar.
- Most often eaten at breakfast or as a snack, idli are usually served in pairs with chutney, sambar, or other accompaniments.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 9 g
Carbohydrates 42 g
Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 144 mg
Potassium 327 mg
Phosphorus 166 mg
Calcium 44 mg
Fiber 5.3 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2-1/2 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
Submitted by: Recipe created by the mother of DaVita dialysis patient Aditya from California and submitted by DaVita dietitian Shawna from California.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register