Easy Pantry Pasta
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 12 ounces dried pasta
- 5 ounces low-sodium tuna packed in water, canned or pouches
- 1 cup canned cannellini beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1/3 cup jarred roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup no salt added tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup no salt added canned green peas
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to directions for al dente doneness, omitting salt. Drain while reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Slice the roasted red peppers.
- In a large pan over medium heat, combine remaining ingredients except peas and parmesan cheese.
- Add drained pasta to sauce mixture and stir to combine. Add some of the reserved cooking liquid if sauce appears too thick.
- Add green peas and parmesan cheese; stir.
- Serve with a whole grain roll. Enjoy!
- Look for the canned or bottled roasted red peppers with the lowest sodium content. Fresh roasted red peppers can be substituted.
- Penne pasta works well but you can use whatever is in your pantry. Whole grain and whole wheat pasta also work well with this recipe.
- If using gluten-free pasta, rinse pasta after draining to avoid a gummy result and do not reserve pasta cooking liquid. Instead add 1/2 cup low-sodium broth if sauce appears too thick.
- Reduce serving size or the amount of pasta in the recipe if a lower carbohydrate meal is needed.
- Add extra tuna if more protein is needed.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Elyse from Virginia
Nutrients per serving
Protein 18 g
Carbohydrates 50 g
Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 13 mg
Sodium 290 mg
Potassium 542 mg
Phosphorus 230 mg
Calcium 76 mg
Fiber 5.4 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 3 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register