Garlicky Penne Pasta with Asparagus
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco® hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne pasta, uncooked
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to instructions, omitting salt.
- Cut asparagus into 2" pieces. Mince garlic.
- In a medium skillet heat olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add asparagus, Tabasco sauce, lemon juice and black pepper to skillet and cook for 6 minutes until tender crisp.
- Drain pasta and transfer to a bowl. Add asparagus and toss.
- Top with shredded cheese and serve.
- Thicker asparagus stalks may require longer cooking time.
- Add diced cooked chicken or shrimp to make an entrée dish.
- Adjust red pepper flakes and Tabasco sauce to taste.
Submitted by: Recipe submitted Michele, wife of DaVita patient Charlie from North Carolina.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 9 g
Carbohydrates 33 g
Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 13 mg
Sodium 93 mg
Potassium 258 mg
Phosphorus 168 mg
Calcium 83 mg
Fiber 4.8 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, low potassium
- 1-1/2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register