Holushki Noodles and Cabbage
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 8 cups shredded cabbage
- 1-1/4 cups white onion
- 1/3 cup water
- 8 ounces kluski noodles, uncooked
- 1/3 cup margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Chop onion.
- Place shredded cabbage, onion and water in a large pan and steam over medium-low heat for an hour until tender. Stir frequently so cabbage does not stick. Add more water if needed.
- Cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt. Drain well.
- When all liquid is evaporated from cabbage, add margarine. Toss and continue to cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Season cabbage with black pepper.
- Add noodles to mixture and blend. Heat over low heat until hot.
- Substitute wide egg noodles if kluski noodles are unavailable.
- 8 ounces dry kluski noodles or wide egg noodles yields 3-1/2 cups cooked.
- Holushki is a recipe of Ukrainian origin.
- 1/2 medium cabbage head yields approximately 8 cups.
- Select a trans-fat free margarine.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Cindy from Pennsylvania.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 5 g
Carbohydrates 23 g
Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 26 mg
Sodium 75 mg
Potassium 263 mg
Phosphorus 67 mg
Calcium 48 mg
Fiber 2.9 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register