Italian Style Vegetables & Pasta with Chicken
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces chicken, cooked
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup pasta twists, cooked
- Chop bell pepper and onion. Dice chicken.
- Place oil in a large nonstick frying pan and stir-fry the bell pepper, onion and broccoli. Sprinkle with the rosemary, basil, red pepper flakes, garlic powder and salt.
- Stir in the cooked chicken.
- Mix chicken broth with cornstarch and add to vegetable and chicken mixture. Cook until thickened slightly. Stir in the cup of hot cooked pasta.
- Remove from heat and serve.
- Chicken may be increased to 6 ounces for those on dialysis. Protein content will be increased to 29 grams per serving.
- For quick preparation, use 1-1/4 cups of a frozen vegetable mixture of similar composition to replace fresh vegetables.
- Add more or less red pepper flakes to suit your own tolerance for spicy foods.
- Squeeze on lemon juice or sprinkle with balsamic vinegar to add a tangy flavor.
Submitted by: Recipe from "Cooking for David: A Culinary Dialysis Cookbook" by Sara Colman RD, CDE and Dorothy Gordon BS, RN. Submitted by DaVita dietitian Sara from California.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 15 g
Carbohydrates 28 g
Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 22 mg
Sodium 265 mg
Potassium 329 mg
Phosphorus 140 mg
Calcium 72 mg
Fiber 3.7 g
Added Sugar 0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 1 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register