Mac 'n' Cheese
1 cup as entrée
- CKD non-dialysis
- 12 ounces macaroni, uncooked
- 1/4 cup half & half creamer
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces pureed carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free herb seasoning blend
- Cook macaroni following package directions.
- While pasta cooks, warm up creamer and cream cheese in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- After cream cheese is melted, add parmesan cheese.
- Add carrots and spices and mix together.
- When ingredients are thoroughly incorporated, add cooked macaroni and stir. Serve hot.
- Suggested portion for a side dish is 1/2 cup.
- Use baby food carrots for puree short cut.
- For variety, use 4 ounces sautéed orange and yellow sweet peppers in place of carrots (sauté the peppers and puree when cooled.)
- Use your favorite salt-free herb seasoning blend.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Christine from New Jersey.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 11 g
Carbohydrates 46 g
Fat 16 g
Cholesterol 48 mg
Sodium 205 mg
Potassium 239 mg
Phosphorus 187 mg
Calcium 102 mg
Fiber 2.2 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 meat
- 3 starch
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register