Macaroni and Cheese
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 cup whole wheat rotini pasta, uncooked
- 6 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup low fat milk
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook pasta according to box instructions, omitting salt.
- In a saucepan on low heat, melt butter. Add garlic and simmer for one minute. Add cream cheese and stir until melted. Add 1/2 cup milk and whisk to make a sauce. Add more milk to desired consistency. Simmer sauce on low-medium heat, being careful not to burn.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese. Add a few sprinkles of the red pepper flakes and black pepper to taste.
- Mix sauce with the cooked pasta and enjoy!
- Vegetables and cooked chicken can also be added if desired to make a one-dish meal.
Submitted by: DaVita patient Charlie’s wife Michele from North Carolina.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 9 g
Carbohydrates 26 g
Fat 14 g
Cholesterol 43 mg
Sodium 237 mg
Potassium 222 mg
Phosphorus 188 mg
Calcium 147 mg
Fiber 2.3 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 starch
- 1 milk
- 1-1/2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register