Pasta with Cauliflower
1 cup pasta with 1/2 cup cauliflower sauce
- Lower Protein
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 14 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 16 ounces whole wheat linguine, uncooked
- 8 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Wash cauliflower and cut into bite-sized pieces. Finely chop onion and mince garlic.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes until onion is transparent.
- Add cauliflower, black and red pepper and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and allow cauliflower to cook until tender.
- Cook linguine according to package directions, omitting salt. Drain and return to the pot used to cook it. Add several spoonfuls of the broth from cauliflower mixture to linguine and toss to prevent sticking.
- Divide linguine into 8 individual servings and top with cauliflower and broth.
- Add 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese and more black and red pepper to taste. Chop parsley and garnish each serving evenly.
- Limit Parmesan cheese to 1 tablespoon per portion to keep phosphorus low.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Lisa from New York.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 12 g
Carbohydrates 49 g
Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 4 mg
Sodium 133 mg
Potassium 420 mg
Phosphorus 231 mg
Calcium 89 mg
Fiber 8.6 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3 starch
- 1/2 meat
- 1 vegetable, low potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register