- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 cup onion
- 2 cups celery
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Chop onion and dice celery. Set aside.
- Add stock and water to medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the quinoa and bring back to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 12 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed all the liquid.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion and celery, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the onion mixture from the heat. Add quinoa to the onion mixture. Stir in the parsley, sage, garlic and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Add cranberries to dressing and mix.
- Transfer the dressing to an 8" square pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Quinoa is higher in potassium and phosphorus compared to other whole grains, but is a good source of protein and fiber. In general, only half of the phosphorus in whole grains is absorbed during digestion. By limiting the portion you may still enjoy quinoa in your kidney diet. Check with your dietitian.
- Each stalk of celery yields about 1 cup after trimmed and diced.
- This recipe works well as a stuffing.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 4 g
Carbohydrates 27 g
Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 20 mg
Sodium 57 mg
Potassium 297 mg
Phosphorus 132 mg
Calcium 50 mg
Fiber 3.6 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1/2 fruit, low potassium
- 1 fat
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Tammy from Missouri.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register