- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 cup elbow pasta, uncooked
- 1 jar Kraft® Pimento Cheese spread made with cream cheese, 5-ounces
- 4 ounces canned Ortega® diced green chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Rinse and drain green chilies.
- Cook noodles in boiling water without salt or butter until the noodles are al dente.
- Drain noodles. While noodles are hot, add the pimento cheese spread and chilies.
- Stir until the cheese spread is melted into the noodles.
- Serve hot. Add pepper at the table for taste, if desired.
- Elbow, shell or bowtie pasta are great choices for this recipe.
- For a higher protein variation, add browned and drained ground beef.
- Most cheese spreads are very high in sodium and phosphorus. The pimento spread in this recipe is made with cream cheese instead of processed cheese. (Look for the Philadelphia® brand cream cheese logo on the label). This is what keeps the sodium and phosphorus content low enough for a renal diet. Avoid bottled or canned spreads made with processed cheese.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 6 g
Carbohydrates 25 g
Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 28 mg
Sodium 227 mg
Potassium 83 mg
Phosphorus 74 mg
Calcium 36 mg
Fiber 1 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 fat
- 1/2 milk
Submitted by: Recipe created by DaVita patient, Deborah, submitted by DaVita dietitian Terri from California.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register