Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Bake
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 cup macaroni, dry
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 8 ounces low-sodium roasted red peppers
- 4 ounces pimentos
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Spray an 8 x 11-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Dice the onion, red peppers and pimentos. Mince garlic cloves. Cut cream cheese into cubes.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add macaroni (do not add salt). Cook macaroni until about halfway done, about 5 minutes. Drain and return to the pot.
- Heat olive oil in a small skillet and sauté the onion and garlic until fragrant and tender.
- Combine all ingredients with the partially cooked macaroni. Pour into the baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes remove baking dish from oven and mix until the cream cheese has thoroughly coated all the ingredients.
- Place baking dish, uncovered, back into the oven and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Serve hot immediately or refrigerate to enjoy later
- Add diced chicken, ground beef, tofu or shrimp if a higher protein dish is desired.
- Add fresh basil as a garnish for some extra color and flavor, or play around with other herbs and spices to change it up!
- If you are in a rush skip sautéing the onions and garlic. Baking will bring out the flavors.
- To save time prep all the ingredients while waiting for the pasta to cook.
- Roasted red peppers are available prepared and jarred or you can make your own using fresh red peppers.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Abby from Virginia
Nutrients per serving
Protein 6 g
Carbohydrates 27 g
Fat 14 g
Cholesterol 29 mg
Sodium 217 mg
Potassium 250 mg
Phosphorus 102 mg
Calcium 64 mg
Fiber 2.3 g
Added Sugar 0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register