Shrimp Fried Rice
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 3/4 cup onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root
- 3 tablespoons scallions
- 5 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup small pre-cooked, frozen shrimp
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups white long-grain rice, cooked and cooled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dice onion and chop scallions. Mince garlic and ginger root.
- Preheat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and cook until onion is tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger and scallions and stir for about 1 minute.
- Add shrimp and stir frequently until heated.
- Add peas and carrots and stir until heated. Place shrimp and vegetable mixture into a large covered bowl.
- Return skillet to the heat and add 2 tablespoons oil. Pour eggs into the skillet and scramble until done. Remove eggs to the bowl with shrimp and vegetables.
- Return skillet to heat and add 1 tablespoon oil. Add 4 cups cooked rice and stir to heat and coat with oil.
- Season rice with salt and pepper and let rice sit in skillet without stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Stir rice and add the shrimp, vegetables and eggs. Serve hot.
- Possible substitutions:
- leftover chicken or 1/2-cup diced tofu for the shrimp
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 teaspoon minced garlic for garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger for fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce for 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 scallions yield approximately 3 tablespoons chopped.
- Jasmine rice adds extra flavor.
- For a higher protein diet, increase shrimp.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Jennifer from California.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 16 g
Carbohydrates 53 g
Fat 16 g
Cholesterol 244 mg
Sodium 271 mg
Potassium 285 mg
Phosphorus 218 mg
Calcium 71 mg
Fiber 2.5 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 meat
- 3-1/3 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, low potassium
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register