Beefy Pita Pockets
one pita pocket, 3/4-cup beef and vegetables
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Kitchen Bouquet® browning and seasoning sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 pieces pita bread
- Slice onion and mushrooms; slice bell pepper into thin strips. Chop parsley.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper and mushroom. Sauté until vegetables are tender, about 6 minutes. Remove vegetables to a plate.
- Add beef to the skillet and cook until no trace of pink remains, 5 to 6 minutes. Spoon off and discard any fat.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, Kitchen Bouquet sauce and black pepper; stir and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add vegetables to the beef and stir to combine.
- Stir in the parsley and cook until heated through. Remove from heat.
- Warm pitas. Cut a 2" strip off the side of each pita and pull open.
- Fill each pita with the beef and vegetable mixture.
- Kitchen Bouquet® browning and seasoning sauce is a low-sodium seasoning that adds extra color and flavor to meat and vegetables.
- Compare pita brands and select the lowest sodium brand. Select white or wheat--both are kidney-friendly.
Submitted by: Recipe provided by DaVita patient, Charlean, and submitted by DaVita renal dietitian, Lisa from California.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 21 g
Carbohydrates 37 g
Fat 21 g
Cholesterol 57 mg
Sodium 393 mg
Potassium 443 mg
Phosphorus 193 mg
Calcium 102 mg
Fiber 3.0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 2 starch
- 2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register