- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons mustard
- 4 hamburger buns
- Preheat the oven to 400˚ F. Place parchment paper on a roasting pan.
- Trim the leaves off the cauliflower and cut off the bottom of the stem.Cut the cauliflower head in half. Cut each half into 1” to 3/4” slices, leaving the core in place. Cut off the smaller ends of the cauliflower and save for another recipe. There should be 4 cauliflower steaks.
- Mix olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Lay the cauliflower on the parchment lined baking sheet.Using half of the olive oil mixture, brush onto the steaks. Place in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip the steaks over. Brush steaks with remaining olive oil and roast for about 20 more minutes, until they are golden brown on the edges.
- Slice the red onion. Place each steak on half of the hamburger buns, spread with 2 teaspoons mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon mustard, a few red onion slices, lettuce leave and the other half of the hamburger bun.
- The leftover cauliflower can be used in an omelet, cut into small pieces to boil as a substitute for rice or eaten raw with a dip made from sour cream and Mrs. Dash®
- Change out the bun for a pita, croissant or sourdough.
- Try different toppings such as sliced cucumber, sliced green pepper, or Dijon mustard.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 7 g
Carbohydrates 28 g
Fat 19 g
Cholesterol 4 mg
Sodium 430 mg
Potassium 427 mg
Phosphorus 107 mg
Calcium 107 mg
Fiber 3.6 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 starch
- 2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 3 fat
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Jackie from Virginia.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register